Silkwood is an award-winning sustainable environmental school and one of the first Australian schools to embed indigenous ways of learning into our learning programs and spaces.
Our focus on environmental learning at Silkwood centres on creating sustainable futures through:
- raising awareness of issues and initiatives
- building connections to our natural environment
- developing an ethic of care for self, others and place
Located in a stunning bushland setting in the Gold Coast Hinterland, Silkwood is surrounded by creeks, wildlife and regenerated bushland which are nestled with interactive bush trails and green play spaces to create a living learnscape that brings our sustainable environmental approach alive.
The Environmental Sustainability and Indigenous Experiential programs incorporate a variety of focuses to give students the opportunity to engage with learning in diverse ways:
- SEED: Programs, initiatives and projects that build knowledge, skills and understanding of learning in, for and about the environment.
- Sow, Grow and Nourish: Silkwood has a specially developed primary school Garden to Kitchen program using the ethics and principles of permaculture. Students learn the value of clean, green food on the earth and your body and how to grow it in sustainable ways.
- Bush School: This primary school program provides opportunities for students to engage in child-led free play, self-managed learning and democratic group management within the natural environment. Students use minimal resources to create and maintain their own learning environment in an all-seasons/all-weather outdoor play program.
- Connecting to Country Through Totems: This whole school learning initiative builds an ethic of care and authentic connections to Silkwood’s natural environment through indigenous totemic knowledge and ways of learning.
Our Environmental Sustainability and Indigenous Learning programs provide students with authentic experiences to learn about the natural world and how they can make a difference as global citizens to care for our planet.