Silkwood has developed The Silkwood Way, an educational approach that places individual student learning plans at the centre and uses student interest, innovative learning styles, flexible timetables and the Australian Curriculum to intentionally enhance every child’s learning adventure.
Silkwood’s experiential learning program plays a very important role in a child’s development. It is designed with two goals in mind:
- To offer a wide range of opportunities for students to explore real world enterprises and connections.
- To develop valued life skills related to physical movement, artistic endeavours, performance, the environment, their health, design and making.
These goals are enlivened by creating a range of engaging, fun and challenging learning experiences with the aim to:
- connect children to a wide range of experiences to help them explore and build on their dreams, passions and interests
- build a wide range of quality skills that enable students to perform, make, create and design
- develop skills to help with their health and wellbeing
- learn real world working skills
- deepen student understanding of themselves, others and place.
This program is designed to work with approximately a third of a student’s learning time in the Primary School and uses a flexible timetable model to achieve this.
The broad areas of study cover: